Monday, November 5, 2018

When Media Frames One's World

From childhood years up to this present day, the media has been consolidated more and more to most people's everyday life. Eleven years ago, television programs such as Dora the Explorer, Blue's Clues, and Teletubbies introduced me to the world of media, made  learning fun to me, and caused me to connect positivity in learning new things. Social media has now been the widely used media throughout the globe nowadays, especially for teenagers. But as a teenager, I found myself, unexpectedly, not too active in this kind of media, or should I say, I'm not a social media maniac like my other classmates. As our teacher in Media and Information Literacy course required us to make a blog, I could've screamed "NOOOOOO!" I even barely have Facebook posts and now I have to make a BLOG?😥 This is entirely a 'no' to me. How I wish I make this blog not just for some academic requirements but I want this entry to be a lesson to others 😃😃😃

Image result for media addiction art
Photo credits: https://www.pinterest.ph/pin/514325219923610636/?lp=true


Our society is more and more mediated which means that people get most of the information through media, so the media communication can be a very effective and powerful tool for implementing any interests. Media is truly useful to students for it helps them in their assignments, projects, and some academic purposes. However, media's role nowadays is not only to serve more information but also to entertain. That's why many students get distracted from their studies. These forms of media would rob their time for academics.

Media also sway beliefs of people, which is also known as propaganda. As it has around the world, the internet in the Philippines has become a morass of fake news and conspiracy theories, harassment and bullying. What is true, or legal, is no longer important as long as the majority supports it. Some students are usually mislead by the information given by the media. 

Media has been a great benefit to the world. It has been used in connecting people in distant places, used for faster dissemination of vital information such as news, has been entertaining children and adults, and many more. But when used without control, these things might bring damage to one's self. When students spend too much time on the internet and watching movies, socialization with friends, family, and neighbors is affected. And by the way, these things are proven in many research studies.


I hope you've got some lessons from this short insight. You can also drop yours 😉👇


4 comments: